slowpoke & joe - adrift in seattle

A girl, an ontological dilemma and a puppy stumble through Seattle

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A huzzah for maturity!


When I was a child I sneaked little treats all the time to my dog, Sweetie, so that she would love me unreservedly and more importantly, exclusively. But, alas! Sweetie was a humanist, a free-love advocate, a democrat of love, and she loved all of us equally.

I'm proud to note that with Joe the pup, I have done everything I can to make sure that Joe is as attached to my partner, B, as possible. I let B feed Joe, I encourage him to chase the pup around the yard (to Joe's wide-eyed, slavering delight). I shove them together like a teen matchmaker at a junior high dance.

It would be easy for me to manipulate Joe's attachment to be largely fixated on me, especially as B has never had a dog before in his life. Looking back at the time that we've 'owned' Joe (about 7 weeks) I noticed that I have wanted B to love Joe and vice versa quite naturally and quite fully.

I am (pathetically) grateful that loving B has helped me evolve from my 6-year-old's possessiveness, at least in this area of my life. Because I can still be appallingly possessive when it comes to my friends falling-in-like with my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
Blogarama - The Blogs</a></li> 



<a href= Blogwise - blog directory Bloogz